Our botanical tour offers the chance to visit some of New Zealand’s most spectacular habitats.
Our guides will take you to areas that are normally difficult to get to, the mountains are magnificent, but you will also enjoy exploring beech forests, coastline and beautiful lakes. There’s even the opportunity to take to the ocean to see sperm whales and albatrosses.
The native flora of New Zealand is rich and unique, having evolved in isolation for millions of years. No fewer than 80 per cent of New Zealand’s native plants and trees are endemic. Although few have showy flowers, the variety of foliage colour, texture and shape is remarkable.
Highlights can include
- 93% of New Zealand’s alpine plants are found nowhere else in the world
- Primeval rain forest dominated by ancient podocarps and tree ferns at Pureora
- Mount Arthur spectacular alpine flora
- Blackbirch, Mt Hutt scree plants
- Mount Cook National Park and its spectacular Hooker Valley
- Gertrude Cirque, which has arguably one of the finest accessible communities of alpine plants in the Southern Hemisphere
- You will be delighted by species of Ranunculus, Celmisia, Aciphylla, Raoulia, Donatia, Ourisia, Swainsona and many more
Our guides are passionate botanists and naturalists who are passionate about New’s Zealand flora and have a lifetime of experience and knowledge about it’s diverse ecology. We can provide transport throughout, all necessary permits and charters, accommodation and meals as requested, species lists and a detailed background ecology booklet relating to areas visited and species viewed.
We also run botanical tours in Tasmania and Western Australia.
Botanical Tours for 2018
- New Zealand plants & natural history – departs January 2018
Please contact us for more information and additional departure dates.